Thursday, February 12, 2009

Lest Darkness Overtake Poem


Scripture Reading:  John 12:25

Hello all, 
As you who subscribe know, I normally don't do two postings a week.  However, regarding the storms we had last night in WV, I found myself without power as thousands did.  I used to live in a rural area and was quite used to total darkness after all the lights were out.  Now living in a city where there is some form of light always shining, it was sort of weird to experience a total black out, not able to see the hand in front of my face.  It was sort of disconcerting spending a night in total darkness.  But I am reminded that this is what every person without Jesus Christ will experience forever.  10 hours was bad enough for me (of course I had candles and flashlights) but just imagine eternity (no ending) where no Light is and no Help or Hope.  So in all this, I used to write poems a lot and sort of fell off from doing it, but I felt compelled to form these words in the wake of our power outage due to the storms. Excuse my meter and literary inabilities, this is just what flows from my head.  I would like to share it with you.  
PS
Please take time to read the Scripture passage above too.

LEST DARKNESS OVERTAKE
By Jon Browning

Have mercy on a sinner Lord
  A sinner in darkness indeed.
Life's work and life's credits
  Are man's selfish creed.

Fill me with they Grace and Love
   Sweep o'er me Thy Power.
Save me from the wicked one,
   And the darkness abiding in the evil hour.

Should darkness come and a soul overtake,
   Lord what hope is there
Where no Light of Yours doth break?
   Light from Heaven dispels the darkest sea,
Ever shining, ever pointing towards
Our Hope, Our Salvation, Our Eternity.

Run swiftly towards this Light O searching soul,
  For the Light is visible and fading fast.
Bask in its glory and let it fill you complete and whole,

Cast away sin's garments with darkness did it thee infect,
  Lest darkness find you helpless for eternity,
For so great a salvation you did neglect.

O Light of Christ thou art my glory sure.
  From darkness I did flee
My soul will never walk its dark paths evermore.

Keep shining for my brethren even just a little while,
  Plead with them tenderly 
To sail from this world's despairing isle.

Let me have a lantern and fill it with thy Light so free
  Call to others in the darkness
For they to come and with us spend eternity.


No comments: