Monday, September 8, 2008

It Will NOT Come OUT!!!


Scripture Reading: 1 Peter 1:18-20

How many times have you been told in life (mostly the men here) when we spill something on us, usually food, that it won't come out? Of course the morsel of food or the blob of whatever lifts off the fabric, but the footprint it leaves beneath it stays there.

I had the most unique experience I want to share this week. Although I did not think so at the time, this makes for a good illustration. It was Communion night at my church. We have an AV room separate from the main congregation so one of the deacon's brings back the bread and juice to us. I had my bread and juice on the desk in front of me. We could watch on our monitor when it was time to partake. It came to the juice and as I put the plastic cup to my mouth I thought I saw a drip and as I drank, the whole cup was running everywhere. I jumped back and sat the cup down (which puddled out on the desk). The guy beside me said, "Dude, your glass is cracked." I saw all the purple drops on my best shirt and I immediately ran to the staff bathroom to wash the shirt to no avail. You sort of look at grape juice like acid, its dangerous effects are usually permanent, so you handle it carefully. I always cringe as I see a whole platter of grape juice passing down the row. Well, anyway, there I was big wet blob on the shirt from the intense "water treatment" and all these little stains on me. As I was surveying myself in the mirror, the Holy Spirit reminded me just how vital a picture this was to see.

Stains are not usually welcome on our person or our clothes. They denote ugly marks we rather not anyone see for embarrassment sake. All stains except one. We as humans will have up to two stains on our souls. First we were born with the stain of sin. The Bible says that this sin brings death of eternal separation from God on all of us (Romans 6:23). As hard as we try to remove that stain with the solution of good deeds or moral living that stain will not come out! I soaked and soaked myself with water, and the grape juice stain lightened but did not disappear. The Holiness of God requires that ALL the stain be gone, not faded, but removed. We have nothing at all in our power to remove such a stain.

The second stain is the cleansing stain of Christ's blood. Here was the illustration from the broken communion cup. To rid our sins, Christ was to go to the Cross to shed His blood for the forgiveness of them, completing the fulfillment of the Old Testament pattern. The difference was that the blood He shed would be totally sufficient as it would not go away nor wear off in its potency. Grape juice (which we use to represent the blood of Christ shed for sin) has the express quality of not coming out of clothes. When you and I receive Jesus Christ into our hearts, His blood cleanses us from all sin. This is not a one time action. This covering stain lasts forever never coming out of our souls.

There are Christian folk that believe in this cleansing blood, but cannot accept the fact that its permanent. How sad to be tormented by the thought, for just one sin committed, and then death comes and they perish forever in Hell. This is not what the Scriptures teach, but what the deception of Satan shouts. If the blood of Christ is to be a perfect payment for sins, then should it last. Anything that does not last completely, is not perfect. We do not desire to keep sinning, but when we do sin there is no eternal condemnation for it either. You cannot sin your way out of salvation. When Christ "stains" a heart, what really happens is that old stain of sin (that cannot be cleansed by any other means) is removed and the new stain of Christ's blood replaces it. The "stain" of His blood is not an ugly one, but more like a beautifully painted portrait. That portrait is our righteousness and our ONLY pass into Heaven.

Finally, a stain is something we try to hide. I was embarrassed to circulate in the halls of our church due to gigantic blob all over my shirt. I could not hide it. We should not be embarrassed or try to hide or cover up the reality of Jesus in our lives. If the stain were reproachable, certainly we should try to hide, but it isn't. The stain is glorious. The stain is something we should want all to see and hopefully desire to have too. When we try to blend in with the world, we are hiding our stain of Redemption. When we are open about speaking for Jesus in our lives and for what He has done, we are showing Him off. How can we cover up the very thing that completely and utterly changed the course of our lives from destruction to everlasting Hope?

Does the stain of sin still marr your soul? Would you desire to have it removed? Once death comes, either the stain of sin or the stain of Christ's precious blood is set for all eternity. You can lose your sin stain in this life, but you never can lose the redemption of His stain. In a world of absolute uncertainty, one thing is quite certain. A decision to be saved by Christ's blood never changes. Its the permanent stain of Righteousness, and it won't come out!!!

If you're not a believer in Jesus Christ, consider the consequences of your decision not to trust Him. Is it really worth suffering unspeakable torment all alone forever just to live a few years on Earth "enjoying" life which will ultimately betray you? I plead with you, turn your life to Christ.

Would you pray with me,

Dear Jesus, I realize I have a black mark of sin on me. I know that mark means I am not going to Heaven. But I know from what I have read today that my sins can be removed and forgiven by trusting in Jesus. I desire for You to come into my heart and cleanse my sin stain and cover me with your stain of blood of forgiveness and salvation. Thank you Lord that your forgiveness lasts forever,

and forever now I will be with You. In your Name, Amen.


If you received Christ through this posting online or through reading it in an e-mail, please write to me and I want to send you a free booklet to help you on your new Christian walk with Christ. The address is jonbrowning@suddenlink.net

No comments: